Skip to main content

Let's get real.


Sorry about last weeks blogs, friends. I was getting engaged, moving, and traveling.
 It was a long weekend for me but the best weekend. I'm hoping now that things have calmed down a little that I can make these blogs more into what I want.

Last week we talked about what a family is. This week we are going to talk about theories, models, and the family systems. I personally have come from my own dysfunctional family. I moved out of my mother’s house when I was 15, moved in with some amazing extended family, got my life on track, and now I'm getting ready to start my own family.

 There are four theories that we discussed in class; conflict theory, system theory, exchange theory, and symbolic interaction theory. These are all very interesting and I encourage you to go research them and see how they fit into your life. For this blog I'm going to talk about system theory because this fits basically everyone’s family whether they realize it right off the bat or not. 

The system theory deals with rules and roles are the main aspects. The rules are those unspoken rules that each family has but not said out loud. For example, a rule might be don’t tell mom you are bored, otherwise it’s time for chores! Or things like what happens in this house stays in this house. Those are the unspoken rules that you learn over time. Learning over time comes from feedback. We can receive negative or positive feedback which helps us each know whether or not to do again.

When it comes to roles, those differ per personality, family, and situations that may fall upon us. We each fill a role in the family; whether it be the peacemaker, the rebel, the quiet one, etc. For the most part, most people in my class were the peacemakers, meaning everyone goes to them to fix the problems or help siblings, friends, or family just kind of mesh together.

I am not a peacemaker; I generally cause the issues. However, the older I have gotten the less rebellious I have gotten. Sometimes when we get older and situations change within families or within groups of friends our roles might adjust or be completely change. Change isn’t always bad and thank goodness for that. My role as the rebellious child has now changed into quite the responsible one. I help the rest of my siblings keep their act together. J

I’m not sure if I have mentioned this in the last blog or not but I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and while learning about family systems and how families should be it’s become a big testimony builder for me that Heavenly Father truly knows us individually and our families. In the gospel, families are one of the most important things, we believe in being together for all time and eternity despite worldly opposition that may occur.

Families as a system and understand how much person has a role to play has strengthened my testimony in that even though I come from a dysfunctional immediate family and have been “placed” into my extended family as a member. We all have a place in this world, no matter how our families are.

The last thing I would suggest is to go make and create your own genogram. We discussed this in class and it wasn’t an assignment to do but I’ve gotten interested in knowing what roles and traits that have occurred in my own family. We never have to let the past define WHO we are but it does shape us. We can change the future so why not find out what has occurred and become better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Troubles

How many of you also come from families that are just dysfunctional? Perfect, glad I’m not the only one! A lot was discussed that was just amazing but one that truly just stuck out to me was crisis vs. stressors. CRISIS: Here below a not perfect chart that was shown in class and I’m going to describe it because this is in all families and it’s how we handle crisis’s in our lives. Alright, thanks for accepting my horrid attempt at drawing that. As I explain it I want you to refer back to it. 1.     This is where all families start. 2.     Here is the crisis. 3.     We all get defeated during hardships and fall down. 4.     We bounce back and do even better than where we started. 5.     We bounce back and are just a little above where we started. 6.     We bounce back to the same place that we started. 7.     We don’t bounce back. I found this so extremely powerful because it’s so accurate, for me at least. During each family crisis or even my own pe

Merging two families.

Marriage. The beginning of merging two different families. Two different lifestyles. Two different habits. I am getting married in exactly 8 weeks and I’m a little terrified for this merge. I am beyond excited to marry my fiancé, I love him dearly. However, we are quite different people. We work together but we’ve never lived together to see all that is there. If any of y’all have any advice, please share! We discussed what makes a wedding and what makes a marriage. When reading and discussing what makes a good wedding, we talked about how society sees it. The bride’s families pays for almost everything with the grooms family for and only certain things. However, those aren’t laws written down, but yet so often we thing it has to be done that way and only that way. Most people think for a good wedding you have to have a big party to correspond with your marriage. The bigger, the better. For me, I’m a little different than your average girl. I have no planned my entire weddi

Thus far..

Finals are here. This class has come to an end and I’m quite sad. I have learned so much from this class. I have learned what I want from myself, my husband, my children, my family. I have learned things about myself that I didn’t realize I was doing, things that I wanted to do, and things that I wanted to be done with my future family. I have learned the importance of being one with your spouse. When we get to go to Heaven, it’s going to be Ethan and me. Our kids will be with their spouses and won’t have a need for us there. I want to have that bond with my cute lover boy forever. I want it to get stronger and stronger each day and for that to happen, I have had to make some changes. Now, I’m not perfect and it hasn’t been easy. I have fallen back into what’s familiar many times and have to pull myself out to change things. I make sure that no matter what the excitement is and even if my friend would understand more, Ethan is always going to be the first to know a