Skip to main content

Dating 101


This week’s topic has been all about dating. It’s been a really fun and interesting topic to discuss and honestly, learn about.
On that note, a question for you. What in the world is dating? The newer generation seem to think of dating as “hanging out.” We just spend time with the other watching television, homework, or dinner together and call it good. However, back in the good ole days dating was so much more. It was going on several dates with several different people. It’s a much different experience than it is today. My teacher shared some of his dating experiences when he was in college and those were things I’d never experienced or heard happen to any of my friends or fellow classmates.
I want to discuss the Know-Quo. People need to be together; not texting or simply face timing but actually being with each other. Also with that, not playing on social media or playing games on their cell phones. When you are out and about and see young couples that look to be on dates or “hanging out” you’ll notice they will all have their phones out. This is with the older generations and it’s not how you spend quality time together. The next feature is talk. Talking is HUGE! How else would you get to know people? For example, today after class my fiancé picked me up and we went to go run a few errands. It was pretty quiet in the car and just had some back ground music on. I suddenly turned it down and asked who his first kiss was. Let me set the scene on my fiancé. He is a little shy if he doesn’t know you, handsome as ever, and the sweetest guy. In my head I was thinking, of course he’s kissed a bunch of girls but we just never have talked about it. When I asked him, he was a little shocked and then proceeded to tell me that he had never kissed a girl until me. He had waited until he felt that he had met the right person, which thankfully has been me. Now, this is the sweetest story and I never would have found this out unless I had talked to him and asked the question. The last part of this equation is time. This is a huge one to me because you have to make time for the person you are wanting to know, especially in the sense of dating. You need to make time throughout your day or week to spend that time with said person. If you don’t make time that it can show that you don’t care, you are to busy for them, and you won’t get to make those connections through talking and togetherness. The whole is equation is together + talking + time = know. It is through those 3 things that we can know someone.
The next thing I want to discuss is what are the steps to getting married? Now this might seem like an easy question BUT almost all of us will skip a step. Outlined in class these are the steps to getting married: dating, courtship, engagement, and then marriage. With each step come smaller steps from within. Elder Oaks from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints share what he believes the 3P’s to dating are. Dates are planned, paid for, and paired off. Planned meaning that each person knows what the activity is, when, and where said activity will occur. Paid for obviously means that one of the parties participating in the event will be paying for the outing. Even if the evening is free being paid for means taking that imitative to handle the outing. The last one is paired off. This is important in the dating scene. Being paired off means that you know who you are with and that is your person for the evening. Much of the time in hanging out settings you don’t know who is with who and everyone could be flirting with everyone. Being paired off eliminates that and gives attention to each pair to get to know each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Troubles

How many of you also come from families that are just dysfunctional? Perfect, glad I’m not the only one! A lot was discussed that was just amazing but one that truly just stuck out to me was crisis vs. stressors. CRISIS: Here below a not perfect chart that was shown in class and I’m going to describe it because this is in all families and it’s how we handle crisis’s in our lives. Alright, thanks for accepting my horrid attempt at drawing that. As I explain it I want you to refer back to it. 1.     This is where all families start. 2.     Here is the crisis. 3.     We all get defeated during hardships and fall down. 4.     We bounce back and do even better than where we started. 5.     We bounce back and are just a little above where we started. 6.     We bounce back to the same place that we started. 7.     We don’t bounce back. I found this so extremely powerful because it’s so accurate, for me at least. During each family crisis or even my own pe

Merging two families.

Marriage. The beginning of merging two different families. Two different lifestyles. Two different habits. I am getting married in exactly 8 weeks and I’m a little terrified for this merge. I am beyond excited to marry my fiancé, I love him dearly. However, we are quite different people. We work together but we’ve never lived together to see all that is there. If any of y’all have any advice, please share! We discussed what makes a wedding and what makes a marriage. When reading and discussing what makes a good wedding, we talked about how society sees it. The bride’s families pays for almost everything with the grooms family for and only certain things. However, those aren’t laws written down, but yet so often we thing it has to be done that way and only that way. Most people think for a good wedding you have to have a big party to correspond with your marriage. The bigger, the better. For me, I’m a little different than your average girl. I have no planned my entire weddi

Thus far..

Finals are here. This class has come to an end and I’m quite sad. I have learned so much from this class. I have learned what I want from myself, my husband, my children, my family. I have learned things about myself that I didn’t realize I was doing, things that I wanted to do, and things that I wanted to be done with my future family. I have learned the importance of being one with your spouse. When we get to go to Heaven, it’s going to be Ethan and me. Our kids will be with their spouses and won’t have a need for us there. I want to have that bond with my cute lover boy forever. I want it to get stronger and stronger each day and for that to happen, I have had to make some changes. Now, I’m not perfect and it hasn’t been easy. I have fallen back into what’s familiar many times and have to pull myself out to change things. I make sure that no matter what the excitement is and even if my friend would understand more, Ethan is always going to be the first to know a